The National Disability Mentoring Coalition (NDMC) aims to raise awareness about the importance and impact of mentoring in the lives of people with disabilities and to increase the number and quality of disability mentoring programs around the country. Established in December 2014, NDMC transitioned in March 2018 to residing as an initiative of Partners for Youth with Disabilities (PYD). NDMC’s core activities focus on:
- Awareness – Spotlighting the critical role of mentoring as a disability inclusion strategy that promotes successful academic, employment and independent living outcomes;
- Connections – Facilitating communication among stakeholders and sharing information about “what works” in disability mentoring;
- Resources – Providing training, technical assistance, and a referral network to grow the number of mentors and strengthen the impact of mentoring experiences;
- Inclusion – Facilitating mentoring opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds and abilities in all settings; and
- Recognition – Honoring excellence in mentoring through the Susan M. Daniels Disability Mentoring Hall of Fame.