Every year, we offer NDMC Members a chance to participate in our Disability Mentoring Certification process. The certification process takes 4 months, during which time participating members are guided through a deep learning process around how to run a mentoring program that is inclusive to youth, volunteers, and staff with disabilities.
Upon completion, individuals are provided with documentation of their certification, and organizations participating in the process have the certification listed on their profile in The Mentoring Connector (the only national database of youth mentoring programs). Additionally, organizations that have completed their Disability Mentoring Certification see a greater reach and visibility in search results on The Mentoring Connector.
To complete the certification, participating individuals must complete the following:
- Complete a curriculum of take-at-your-own-pace online courses
- Attend two webinars focused on implementation of key learning gains
- Create an Inclusion Action Plan for your mentoring program
The 2021 certification process will run from February-May 2021. If you are interested in participating in the 2021 certification process, submit your application by January 31st, 2021.
- Introduction to disability, ableism, and inclusion
- Understanding disability rights and the ADA
- Developing an inclusion statement
- Creating inclusive programs, activities, and events
- Tips for inclusive communication
- Principles of inclusive marketing
- Introduction to autism
- Supporting positive behavior in youth with disabilities
- The intersection of disability, gender, and sexuality
- Understanding Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
“This [training program] provided fundamental knowledge. It helped us to think about ableism in our organization and expanding the idea of “what is disability?” In particular, it highlighted how disability can be both seen and hidden and introduced us to the different models of disability. We found that the information around the ADA and reasonable accommodations gave us tangible steps for how we could approach awareness around disability, inclusion, and ableism at our organization. We learned about how to be proactive instead of reactive in terms of providing reasonable accommodations.”
2021 Certification Cohort
The 2021 certification cohort is now open for applications. Deadline for applications is January 31st, 2021.
Thanks to funding from the Milbank Foundation and MENTOR, **any staff member at a youth mentoring program nationwide is eligible to participate in the 2021 cohort for free.**